It’s the Saturday before the Big Game and I have no clue which teams are playing on Sunday. Actually, I honestly don’t care to know either. There are plenty of women who know about football, love it, live it, breathe it and can hang with the boys about facts and figures any day!
I’m just not one of them.
I’m only going for the Beyoncé half-time show, drinks, the commercials and I was promised all the chicken wings I can eat. For those of us attending the Super Bowl parties this weekend and haven’t a clue about football, I’m offering a few quick tips to make sure you don’t embarrass yourself or your friends.
1) Don’t overdress: I know it’s tempting to wear your cutest outfit and tallest heels to the party because for once you are guaranteed that men will outnumber women. Be that as it may, wearing six inch heels to the sports bar or house party will only make you look awkward and out of place. Men are attracted to women that know there is a time and place for the glam and a time and place to be casual – cute. Keep it simple and wear flats!
2) No questions during a play: Yes, you want to show that you might be interested in the game (even if you aren’t), but recognize that no one wants to answer your questions about “who is that?” or “what are they doing now” when a play is about to start. Wait until commercials! When everyone else is staring intently at the screen that’s your cue to do the same.
3) Root for the underdog: It’s Super Bowl Sunday and if you don’t have a favorite team you have to cheer for somebody right! Rooting for the underdog (team less likely to win) can be entertaining and really exciting if they actually win. It’s a great way to get invested in the game, stay entertained, and maybe make friends with some other fans too! Just be honest about your bandwagon love for the team and don’t overdo it (see point 4).
4) If you don’t know, just be quiet: There’s an old quote that says “it’s better to keep your mouth shut and let people assume you are a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.” Basically this is not the time to start rambling off facts you read on ESPN in an effort to impress or join in. People are on edge and ready to challenge what you say about either team. Don’t show up to this gun battle with a knife. Just sit this conversation out if you aren’t sure and master the smile, nod and sip.
5) Your diet can start again tomorrow: All Super Bowl party food is fried and covered in sugar or butter. Don’t starve to death because you are waiting for them to bring out the hummus and celery. Enjoy the day and indulge (responsibly). Monday is a great day to start your diet again!
What about you? Do you have any other super bowl party survival tips for the non-football fan?
Check out more from me Dee Rene at Laughcrycuss.com
Follow the blog on Twitter @laughcrycuss
Follow Dee on Twitter @deerene_lcc