#New Rules, Beyonce reveals why she dropped her album along with 17 videos so suddenly, like a thief in the night, last night Bey did the unthinkable and dropped a 14 song and 17 video album following in Jay Z’s footsteps with some new rules of her own when she decided to drop her fifth studio album, with no warning and no promotion. The self-titled album is priced at $15.99 on Itunes. Beyoncé sampled Nigerian author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie TED talk in her new track “***Flawless” I love the song. I call this the Black Album part II
Today is obviously Bey Day! Beyonce reiterated her thoughts on today’s music, while explaining the reason she decided to release her album in this particular way:
I feel like right now, people experience music differently. I remember watching Thriller on TV with my family, it was an event, we all sat around the TV and now looking back, I am so happy I was born around that time. I miss that immersive experience. Now, people only listen to a few seconds of a song on their IPODS, they don’t really invest in a whole album. It’s all about the single and the hype. There’s so much that gets between the music, and the artists and the fans. I felt like, I don’t want anybody to give the message when my record is coming out. I just want this to come out when it is ready, and from me to my fans.
I told my team, ‘I want to shoot a video for every song and put them all out at the same time!’ Everyone thought I was crazy, but we’re actually doing it, it’s happening!’
I wanted to make this body of work, and I feel like it’s something that’s lost in pop music. I wanted people to hear things differently and have a first impression. Not just listen to a 10 second clip, but actually be able to see a whole vision of the album. It was important that we made this a movie, we made this an experience.
I wanted everyone to see the whole picture, and to see how personal everything was to me. I will make my best art and just put it out. And that’s why it’s out today!
Here are a 6 facts about the new album:
1) This album took a year and a half to create.
2) The initial recording process started in the summer of 2012, after the writers and producers gathered under one roof in The Hamptons to live together, work together and to immerse themselves into her world and into her head.
3) The videos were shot throughout her Mrs. Carter Show World Tour in places that included a beach in Brazil, the streets of NYC, a rollercoaster in Coney Island, New York, downtown Los Angeles, a chateau in Paris, a roller skating rink in Houston, Texas where she skated as a child, and a beautiful church in South America.
4) There are a long list of songwriters, producers, and video directors on the project which include JAY Z, Timbaland, Justin Timberlake, Pharrell Williams, Drake, The Dream, Sia, Miguel, Frank Ocean, Hit Boy, Ammo, Boots, Detail, Hype Williams, Terry Richardson, Melina Matsoukas, Jonas Akerlund, Noah “40″ Shebib, and more [No Ne-Yo????]
5) The album is available exclusively on Itunes (sucks for Droid users) for a week. It will go to retail December 21.
6) Two tracks are expected to be announced as the lead singles for different formats next week (per Billboard). [The last time she did this was with her third studio album ‘I Am…Sasha Fierce’]
Then Miss Jia read Beyonce’ for filth for dropping the album unexpectedly . 2013 was the year that changed the rules: Yeezus dropped after ONE MONTH’s notice Magna Carta Holy Grail dropped after TWO WEEKS’ notice Beyonce’s self-titled album dropped after NO NOTICE AT ALL.